Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Neutral Milk Hotel "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" (1998)





Where to even start talking about this one?  For an album running under 40 minutes, it's amazingly ambitious.  While there are various elements that are so lofi as to seem amateurish, there is clearly an intentionality to the work itself.  What exactly that intention is is not so clear. 

There's a cult like devotion to this album by people of a certain age.  I can hear influences of it in records recorded years later.

And yet, it doesn't work for me.  There's a lot here, but quite simply isn't engaging enough for me to want to spend the time upacking all that is here.  It's not really suited for anything but close listening, and yet I am not engaged when I do listen closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment